Re: some steam era work train equipment images - L&N sand car

Steven D Johnson

Claus,

Thanks for posting the links to those work equipment photos.

L&N diesel sand cars nos. 40950-40953 were converted from old tenders in 1941.  These cars were later renumbered to 40069-40072.  Capacity was 800 cu. ft.  I have attached diagrams sheets for the original numbers and later renumbering.

Perhaps the oddest L&N diesel sand car was #40073 (see diagram).  This one was converted from an old tender in June 1948.

Photographs of nos. 40072 and 40073 can be seen on page 78 of the L&N Color Guide, Volume 2.

Steve Johnson