Re: Photo: Crane Components On C&NW Flat Car (Undated)

Jack Mullen

Nice find, Bob. Thanks.
I can't quite make out the number either. I wish the Wisconsin folks had higher rez images online, but beggars can't be choosers. I can make out a 5 to the left of the stake, and either 133 or 433 to the right. However, I can cheat a bit. This is one of C&NW's early steel 41' fishbelly flats, identifiable by the shallow fishbelly (compare to the next car), and 11 stake pockets. So the possible number series are:
53201-53799 odd, AC&F 1910 and
54001-54799 odd, SSC 1912.
The car to the right might be one of C&NW's 42' USRA style flats, but a number of other roads has similar cars.
The load appears to be components of an overhead crane, judging by the form of the cab.

Jack Mullen