Re: inside running rail of the curve will be accompanied by an addition guard rail

Larry Buell

Dennis Storzek:

In the late 1980s we had a new customer on the Illinois Division that wanted rail access.  So, they lined up an approved contractor to build the track up to the property line and we , the Santa Fe, built and installed the turnout and connecting track.  After the industry track was completed, it was inspected by one of my employes and put into service.  Shortly thereafter, the Local crew drew me aside complaining that the wheels were really squealing going around one of the curves in the plant.  I went out and string lined the curve.  Turns out that the track curve was about 27-28 degrees (or between a 200-212 ft. radius). The Santa Fe limited the degree of curve for new track to 12 degrees (479 ft. radius) at that time. The local was using 4-wheel trucks under the locomotives for switching; luckily, they never went on the ground.  I contacted the contractor and informed them that they would have to realign the trackage, which was buried for the unloading of lumber flats.

Larry Buell