Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956)

Charlie Vlk

Perhaps I misread that somebody was making a distinction between a flat with a well with a permanent floor and one with a well hole without a floor which inferred special sides that could support a load whether or not it required structural (removeable or custom) stringers of any kind.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:53 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956)

Charlie, you write:

As there is a wood floor and no mention is made of removable structural members it can be assumed they are not open well cars.

“Removable structure” isn’t required for a car to be a well hole flat.  How can you square that with the description you gave, which includes:

“Dimensions of well in cars numbered 60013 and 60031 are as follows:

Length 20 ft. 6 ½ in., width 6 ft. 2 ½ in . . .”

The description SAYS it’s a well hole flat?

Elden says he’s willing to be convinced.  Seems to me you’ve provided the proof, yet you say it’s not.

?????????

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Charlie Vlk
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956)

All-

According to the Westerfield 1955 ORER disc, there are two such cars, GN 60013 and 60031 (must have run out of decal numbers!!).

Note N states “Dimensions of well in cars numbered 60013 and 60031 are as follows:

Length 20 ft. 6 ½ in., width 6 ft. 2 ½ in.  These cars are equipped with wood loading floors and have 2 four-wheel trucks.  Spacing between truck centers 32 ft. 8 in.; between axles 5 ft. 6 in.  Total wheel base 38 ft. 2 in.”

As there is a wood floor and no mention is made of removable structural members it can be assumed they are not open well cars.

Charlie Vlk

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 11:57 AM

Elden, that is DEFINITELY a well-hole flat.  You can see in the panel where the LD LMT is shown that the bottom of the “pipe fitting” is below the deck.  And all that bracing, the timbers and the tie rods, are clearly temporary.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 10:50 AM

Bob, all;

These GN cars are very interesting.  I know next to nothing about them, except what I can glean from photos.  I believe it is a well flat, not a well HOLE flat, since it does not look like the floor supports are removable.  I have wondered what GN needed these cars for, since it is usually an on-line customer that needed them.  These shipments were just lucrative enough that RRs could be convinced the roster them, otherwise….not.

The side members are surprisingly slender for a more typical well flat, which generally had deep side sills, but there is that u/f, which indicates the well is not that deep….

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2020 1:47 PM
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956)

Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956)

A photo from the Wisconsin Historical Society:

Blockedhttps://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM49938

Appears to be a well hole flat car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.