From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 8:50 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Image of string of boxcars Chicago IL 1952

Hi Jim and List Members,

Thanks Jim for the links.

Jim wrote: "Many Jack Delano photos, again discussed here prior. https://chicagopast.com/tagged/Illinois-Central-Railroad "

Within the above link I noticed the specific image linked below...

I see the trainman looks to have linked the brake hoses on two cuts of cars on two separate tracks. It looks like he did this with the railroad equivalent of an 'extension cord' connecting the two brakelines. What exactly is going on there? Is he using one engine (perhaps out of sight at the far end of one of these two cuts) to charge the brakes on both cuts? Perhaps the engine is already coupled onto one cut, and will then immediately couple onto the second cut, and then move both cuts together? Other ideas?

I note that every car has TWO blue flags - one on the coupler and another one on the end ladder

Claus Schlund