Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Photo: Seamless Pipe Fitting Load On GN Flat Car 60031 (1956) now PRR cars

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

    Thanks for the PRR photo Schuyler. It proves exactly what I had posted earlier. I believe

The car in your photo has no floor at all and has no need of one. Look at how the short,

Cylindrical load is carried. It is “pinched”, if you will, by large timbers on the regular deck

of the car. Those timbers are then heavily braced to be sure the load cannot drop any lower.

To be doubly sure you will note that there is additional timbering just below its extreme

Height. Thus no floor was needed.

Cordially, Don Valentine