From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Daniel A. Mitchell
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 5:54 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tru Color was ] Vallejo box car red from micro-Mark

Like many I’m experimenting with Tru-Color paints. I’ve had some rude experiences, and also gotten some nice results. FWIW, here are my experiences so far …

1) The volatiles escape from the Tru-Color bottles. I do NOT think this is due to poor caps or seals, but actual escape through the walls of the bottles. Same problem with the old Accupaint. BAD!

2) Fortunately the paint can be reconstituted by just adding their thinner (NOT cheap). Some suggest that all the new bottles SHOULD be full, and that low paint levels indicate loss of thinner. This may well be true … see “1” above. They need different bottles!!

3) However, even a full bottle is nowhere near being sprayable with conventional equipment. I use Paashe “H” and “VL” brushes, usually with the #3 needle. To spray Tru-Color I need to thin the paint at least 1:1 or sometimes 2:1 with thinner. Even then it tends to dry in the airbrush tip and gum up the spray at best or even clog the gun.

4) It does not stick hardly at all to metal, and poorly to most resin (seems “OK” on styrene). Use of a primer is necessary. NOT Tru-color primer! … it seems to be  just their own paint in light gray color. It does NOT stick either. Floquil primer works well for this, *IF* you still have any. I have heard, and am about to start trying, Tamiya primers (gray or red, acrylic) in spray cans. These get VERY good reviews. Generally I’m cautious about applying different paints over one another, but this combination seems to work for other experienced modelers. I’ll find out.

5) I once painted a nice HO passenger car in classic pullman-green … Floquil primer followed by Tru-color paint. I ovesprayed it with Testor’s Glosscoat, let it dry, and applied decals. I let it dry well (a few days). It looked good. Then had to do just little masking and applied the tape, sprayed the paint, and then attempted to remove the tape. DISASTER! The Glosscoat peeled off like a huge sheet of cellophane, naturally taking most of the decals with it. The Glosscoat had NOT adhered to the Tru-color at all. I have NEVER had this happen previously with Glosscoat applied over ANY other paints. I fear (but have not experienced) similar issues with Dullcoat. I wonder, and am experimenting, with Dullcoat and other overcoats.

6) I have tried the Tru-color “flat” paints. They are less glossy than regular Tru-color, but hardly “flat” at all. This is not particularly serious as normally a dull overcoat solves this problem, EXCEPT see “5" above.

7) I clean-up equipment with cheap commercial lacquer thinner, but thin paint ONLY with the manufacturer’s recommended thinner.

Dan Mitchell

On Jul 31, 2020, at 4:55 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Actually, the "partial" bottle problem was a part I already knew about. As Andy Carlson pointed out, the bottles don't do a perfect job of sealing and can evaporate volatiles. That was one of the cautions I did find on line when searching for information about these paints.

Claus, your 1/2 bottle has the correct amount of "paint", just not the correct amount of thinner. That's why it paints like mud!

As for the flat finish, it may also reflect a loss of volatiles.

My bottle was full to the shoulders, so I did not add any thinner to bring it up. There was some chatter on line about the air-brush ready paints (not the 800 series, like Claus' but 019, like mine) might not be air-brush ready and that certainly seems to be true, at least for some. I'm thinking I may need to thin it 1:2 paint to thinner or more to really get any "action".

And yeah, the whole "I have to have another chemical on hand to clean up", acetone, even if it is available in my wife's and daughter's bathroom cabinets (nail polish remover) isn't thrilling me either. I get it if this is your go-to paint, but I have at least 3 different types of paint on hand.

There is a blog on the Tru-Color web site that covers some of these issues, but it isn't that helpful for others.

Regards,

Bruce