Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] now NYC depressed well flat

Kenneth Montero

Quality Craft made a kit for this 61' well-hole flat car, in HO (1977 Prestige kit). The Chesapeake & Ohio version was kit no. 333, and the New York Central version was kit no. 334.

The kit was unusual in that it contained all the parts for a pair of sprung 6-wheel Buckeye trucks except the wheel-axle sets. Quality Craft recommended the Athearn wheel set. I tried the Kadee wheel sets, but the axles may be a bit too short for this truck. I will have to measure an Athearn wheel set to check its length. This car has weight, as the end platforms are cast white metal.

As I discovered later, the trick to building a wood kit (especially this one) to simulate metal is to seal the exposed wood parts with sanding sealer, then smooth it with steel wool until the wood grain disappears. In my experience, the first coat of sanding sealer should be sanded down with 00 grade steel wool. The second and any further coats of sanding sealer should be sanded with 0000 steel wool until the wood grain disappears and the surface is absolutely slick.  I forgot to do this with the one that I built (guess where the grain shows), so I bought another copy of the kit to "try again"

A number of modelers are now substituting styrene strips and moldings in place of the wood parts whenever possible to get away from having to seal the wood parts. That works as long as the kit does not have any wood moldings that are not duplicated in plastic. I don't know if making a resin casting using the final shape of the wood as the master (and sanding the resin casting) would be a work-around that issue.

Ken Montero

On 08/01/2020 8:56 AM mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

The NYC 498996 is a pretty standard GSI flat, except I'm not sure what's going on at the far end of the car in this photo (the end toward the boxcar).  The body casting has an overhang along its entire length, so it looks like something was welded on here to bring the surface flush with the top edge of the car, for a few feet adjacent to the left end.

Ron Merrick