Re: PFE wood ice reefer underframes

Tony Thompson

I agree with Dick. Bettendorf underframes were not replaced, just the supply of frames supplemented with RR Design.
Tony Thompson

On Aug 1, 2020, at 2:33 PM, Dick Harley via groups.io <dick.harley4up@...> wrote:

Tony knows more than I do, but the RR Design did not "replace" the 30-ton Bettendorf underframes on PFE reefers.  They were a means to increase the number of cars PFE could get, without being limited by Bettendorf.  And old Bettendorf underframes were used in PFE rebuilds up through the R-30-21 class in the mid-1940s.

I use the terms "RR Design" and "Built-Up" interchangeably for those underframes.  Not sure I have a preference.  Many diagrams use both.
Here is a summary about them:
https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFETrainPhotos/PFE-Wood-Ice-Reefers/Bettendorf-vs-Built-Up/i-drRrvqG/A
I'll soon announce here more info on PFE wood reefer rebuilds on my SmugMug site.

If there was a significant problem with cracking of Bettendorf underframes on PFE reefers, that's news to me.

Cheers,
Dick Harley
Laguna Beach,  CA