Re: Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

Jack Mullen

The same lettering scheme is seen on OMRX 5004, on p.128 of Hendrickson and Kaminski's billboard reefer book. That is a builders photo of a General American leased reefer, built October 1931. It shows full dimensional data in black, and the billboard lettering in white, with some adjustments of placement compared to the McVicar photo referenced in the OP.
The retouched McVicar photo is dated August 4 1931. I suggest it may have been prepared to illustrate the lettering Oscar Mayer wanted on the new cars it was leasing.
I agree that the McVicar photo is retouched. The streaked or patchy variations in tone on the car siding are evidence of the original lettering removed by retouching, I believe.

Jack Mullen