Re: Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

You don’t think it’s washed several times in the process of making the sweater? Have you smelled pig urine when buying said sweaters? Likely not. 

Thanks!
Brian Ehni 
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Aug 3, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

Another good reason to wash/dry clean newly purchased wool clothing before wearing it.

Ken Montreo
On 08/03/2020 8:35 PM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Oh you will regret. A prime use for hog urine was cleaning lanolin from raw wool. Think of that the next time you wear a wool sweater. It is also used in fertilizer.

Most blood was dried before shipping as blood is very corrosive to steel. Whole blood has to be shipped in glass lined tank cars. Blood was a rich source of protein used in animal feeds as well as in blood meal used as a fertilizer. Up to 30% is used in human consumption products, ie blood sausage, black pudding, baked goods, etc. Medicine and pharmaceuticals are another use.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert kirkham
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 6:40 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

OK, much as wonder if I will regret it, I have to ask: what was the market for blood, and what was the market for hogs urine?  I have packing plants on the line I model, bt have no insight about this tank car traffic.

Rob Kirkham

On Aug 3, 2020, at 4:31 PM, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Claus thank you. You are correct that is a Decker tank car, used for various fats, like lard, and for blood and hog urine. The tank cars were gone by the early 30s, replaced by leased units.

You cite two groups of Decker reefers, there were others.

Doug Harding

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.