Re: Oscar Mayer Freight Car taken in 1931

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

You don’t think it’s washed several times in the process of making the sweater? Have you smelled pig urine when buying said sweaters? Likely not.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Aug 3, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Kenneth Montero <va661midlo@...> wrote:

Another good reason to wash/dry clean newly purchased wool clothing before wearing it.

Ken Montreo
On 08/03/2020 8:35 PM Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Oh you will regret. A prime use for hog urine was cleaning lanolin from raw wool. Think of that the next time you wear a wool sweater. It is also used in fertilizer.

Most blood was dried before shipping as blood is very corrosive to steel. Whole blood has to be shipped in glass lined tank cars. Blood was a rich source of protein used in animal feeds as well as in blood meal used as a fertilizer. Up to 30% is used in human consumption products, ie blood sausage, black pudding, baked goods, etc. Medicine and pharmaceuticals are another use.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org