Re: NYC 19000 series caboose color

Mark Rossiter

NJI published a few color books on NYC and NH cabooses in color.  There are a number of color pictures in the Morning Sun books on NYC Passenger and Freight cars.  I’m sure there are scads of color pictures available on the internet to serve as a references well.  Somewhere in a past issue of the NYC ‘Headlight’ a formula for ‘in service’ cabooses was given and if I recall correctly, it was Floquil Boxcar red as Todd suggested, lightened about 10-15% with white, which does tend to take some of the ‘red’ out.

I realize the Floquil boxcar red is no longer produced, but there are a number of sources that cross reference Floquil colors to the newer paint manufacturers.

Mark Rossiter