Re: Block of cars

Schuyler Larrabee

From what I’ve read, and heard, “Lashup” is a model railroad term.  Not used by railroaders IRL (In Real Life).

Now, I don’t KNOW about “block,” but it seems to me to be a common term to describe arranging a number of objects with some degree of commonality together.  In the case of freight cars (that IS what we’re talking about, right?), that commonality would be a destination, or a consignee.

I admit that the brain cells are Blocked (😊 ) from coming up with an example, but still . . .

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Nelson
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 5:46 PM
To: STMFC <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Block of cars

Anyone know when the term ”Block”, describing a set of cars headed to the same location, came into general use?  Or whether that concept is in use outside of North America?  Similar question regarding lcomotives, where I recall hearing the term “lashup” to refer to a set of locos.  Or are these just railfan/model railroader terms?

Am debating these matters on another list and nobody participating, myself included, knows the answer.

Dave Nelson