Re: Photo: SFRD Stainless Steel Reefer 13000

Bob Chaparro

Keith Jordan, one of the authors of the Santa Fe ice bunker reefer book, commented:

"...the car was never painted in standard colors. The late ca.1963-4 photo we used in the Reefer book shows the car in it’s original stainless steel.

There is the photo of the renumbered car (4150) with the Super Chief slogan side and it appears that the car numbers and some of the data were “patch painted,” which could have been SFRD color or maybe just some aluminum paint as background.

Without digging out the book again, if I remember correctly, the door was replaced early on.

Ed’s model is very nicely done!"

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA