Re: Photo: Loading Oil (Undated - Early 1900s?)

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

HI Bob,

Thanks for the fascinating photo. I'm thinking, if I fill in some blanks in the photo, that the car closest to the camera possibly maybe is UTLX 629.

Note that NONE of the tank cars come equipped with any sort of dome platform nor any real place for employees to stand while working on loading/unloading the cars. To make up for this shortcoming, every car has a plank of wood to serve as a walkway and a work platform bridging from the car to the loading area.

I'm impressed that the loading area's elevated wooden walkway does NOT seem to be all soaked with oil!

It is clear that the tank car closest to the camera has the tank secured to the underframe by a cable that encirles the dome. The rest of the cars in the photo might have a more 'modern' tank anchorage.

What a glimpse into life over a century ago

Claus Schlund