Re: Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)
A photo from the Tulare County Library:
I think the caption for this photo is seriously incorrect, as I cannot believe that no oranges were shipped from the San Joaquin Valley before 1946.

     I agree, Bob, but note that the TITLE of the photo is "first refrigerator car," not "first orange shipment." I think you are reading the expanded caption wrong.
     But of course SFRD 13000 is quite a long ways from the "first refrigerator car," unless perhapse they meant "first stainless steel refrigerator car."

Tony Thompson