From: "Brian Carlson via groups.io" <prrk41361@...>
Date: 8/14/20 10:32 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Galvanized roofs

In the steam era though you didn’t see massive amounts of peeling paint. At least not in the photos I’ve looked at.

Brian J. Carlson

On Aug 14, 2020, at 8:37 AM, John Sykes III via groups.io <johnsykesiii@...> wrote:

Yes.  Some did and some didn't.  Some paints would not stick to galvanized steel at first, so early roofs almost always had their paint peeling off, sometimes dramatically.  Eventually steel manufacturers came up with galvanizing processes that were more "friendly" to paint and paint manufacturers came up with paints that stuck to galvanized panels better.  Eventually, many carbuilders just left the galvanized roofs unpainted.

-- John