Re: Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

James SANDIFER

Several photos and descriptions on pages 187-191 of the Santa Fe ice reefer book. Built in 1946, scrapped in 1964. “The Super Chief to California” on one side, “El Capitan Coach Streamliner West” on the other. Maps on cars were used 1940-47, discontinued in March 1947 and replaced by “Ship and Travel Santa Fe All the Way.”

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 11:59 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

There are no models that I know of but this is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".
Maybe someone else can tell us.
I did come across an O scale scratch-built model by Ed Bommer. I know nothing further about the model or Ed.
One additional comment on this one-off prototype. Santa Fe practice was to stencil a passenger train slogan on one side of the reefer with a map stencil on the other. This car carried two passenger train slogans.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA