Re: Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

James SANDIFER

“The Santa Fe Modeler,” 2nd Qtr. 1989, p. 31 has an article by Keith Jordan on the model of 13000 that he made in HO scale. He laminated .010 styrene to an Athearn reefer shell stripped of its details. The ends were Westrail. The ribs were .015 x .030 styrene, 64 pieces to each side. Of course this is 30 years ago so there are probably better ways to do it now. He painted it with Testor’s Metallizer paint. Keith was one of the authors of the Santa Fe Ice Reefer book.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 11:59 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

There are no models that I know of but this is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".
Maybe someone else can tell us.
I did come across an O scale scratch-built model by Ed Bommer. I know nothing further about the model or Ed.
One additional comment on this one-off prototype. Santa Fe practice was to stencil a passenger train slogan on one side of the reefer with a map stencil on the other. This car carried two passenger train slogans.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA