Re: Galvanized roofs

erieblt2

Interesting thread. I’ve learned a lot. I had Kalmbach “Freight Cars of the ‘40’s & ‘50’s” handy. The cover is a high angle color shot of a multi-track Chicago yard in 1942. If you have the book check it out. I’m still a bit unsure of how I’ll choose to weather more of my 1950’s box cars. Bill S

On Aug 14, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Dennis Storzek wrote:

I have always wondered if it wasn't an issue with the paints in use during different periods. During the era before WWI and 'tween the wars, the common freightcar paint was some sort of cheap pigment (almost always iron oxide based) in linseed oil, a naturally polymerizing oil. Linseed oil leaves a lot to be desired as paint, it's a potential fire hazard, takes forever to dry, and stays soft for a while even when dry to the touch. But it does form a tough flexible film that sticks tenaciously.

  Certainly all true, but perhaps oversimplified. I was intrigued, reading issue after issue of _Railway Age_ in the first years of steel cars (up to World War I), how many articles there were about getting paint to stick to galvanized surfaces. Many, many formulations were suggested, with many claimed as "highly effective," then the claim would soon be contradicted by a car supervisor for some other railroad. They definitely weren't just using "body paint," but were striving to devise formulations to achieve paint adhesion to galvanized.

Tony Thompson