Re: Photo: Fire Truck In A PM Boxcar (1950)

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Brent,

The car on the right appears to be a 40' double-door boxcar with a 14' door opening. That would push the end of the door track to the last side panel and the grab irons. One possibility is Pere Marquette 93000-93999, a group of automobile boxcars built by Ralston in 1936. PM's 93400-93499 of 1941 were similar, though the doors stopped just a few inches to the right of the last panel. Neither of these two PM series had end doors like the 55XXX car on the left. Having two PM cars shipping fire apparatus to the same location is not unlikely, though a car without an end door obviously doesn't contain a fire truck, but might carry auxiliary equipment like additional pump assemblies to retrofit existing equipment.

I'm going through Million and Patons' PERE MARQUETTE REVENUE FREIGHT CARS, and can't find a match for a 40' DD/ED boxcar in the 55XXX series, the car on the left. Some SS/DD cars rebuilt with steel sides from the 89XXX series were renumbered to 55XXX in 1949, but there is no indication here they had end doors. It seems more likely this car is re-numbered from series 90350-92349. PM cars went through a confusing blizzard of renumberings, and it got worse as they were merged into the C&O. A 1950 ORER would help, but mine is 1958 and has no possible candidates.

Anybody else have a match?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Brent Greer <studegator@...> wrote:
I also like the one coupled to the right of it, with the open sliding door all the way to the end of the car.  I seem to recall Seaboard (?) having some cars configured this way but I cannot identify the owner of this particular car myself.  Anyone else know whose it is?

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer