Ship anchors?

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I was sorting thru a box of junk I didn't even know I had, and I found these small ship anchors - see attached image. In my chosen scale (N) these are about 9 feet in length as can be seen on the scale ruler. Doing a quick internet search on "ship anchor dimensions" confirms that anchors of this size do (and did) indeed exist.

I assume ship anchors were shipped in steam era freight cars? I ask because I have not yet ever seen a photo of such a shipment.

Would they be shipped on flat cars? In gondolas? Would they have simply been tied down, or would they have been blocked in some way to keep them from shifting around during transit?

Any thoughts? Conjectures? Factual information? All are welcome.

Claus Schlund