ACY Covered Hopper [Was: Covered Hopper Help]

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

Richard's mention of ACY covered hoppers sent me to my photos for the attached car I found about 25 years ago near Vesuvius, Virginia. The car was high and dry, so to speak, and several miles from the N&W/NS Shenandoah Valley mainline. How it ended up in Virginia is beyond me. From what I can see, it wasn't wrecked, though there might be damage on the other side.

ACY had for groups of covered hoppers in 1958, according to my ORER, all 70-ton cars (but note their capacities):

400-419 3000 cu ft, 38' (No data)

500-514 1892 cu ft, 29' 3" (AC&F 5-42)

515-539 1892 cu ft, 29' 3" (AC&F 6-47)

540-569 2003 cu ft, 29' 3" (Not found in any articles I have; maybe PS-2 clone?)

The Vesuvius car has no visible number, but is an AC&F car, or a clone.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆