Re: N&W Ladderless Tank Car

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Rich,

I'm well aware that many tank cars did have ladders on one side only. That said, I've never seen a photo of a tank car that had a dome platform on both sides, and only one ladder. Usually the "back side" is plain. Maybe this is correct for this car's class. I would love to see more photographs.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:59 PM Rich C via groups.io <rhcdmc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Garth, The ladder is on the other side of the car. Many people are not aware that most general service tank cars had only one ladder!

Rich

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 12:56:15 PM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Well, maybe I should have added the link.

Garth

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:53 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford via groups.io <mallardlodge1000=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Friends,

As I was wandering through the N&W photos on the Virginia Tech web site ( https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/browse.php?folio_ID=/trans ), I stumbled upon the attached photo of an N&W tank car. It was part of the group "Norfolk and Western Railroad Photograph Negatives 8X10 black & white" that are presented in reverse as negatives rather than as B&W prints.

I found the lack of a side ladder up to the dome platform very curious, so I downloaded it and and flipped the tones with Graphic Converter for your enjoyment and approval. Why this car should be missing its ladder is beyond me. I see no wreck damage. I can understand no ladder if there is no platform on that side of the car. The car is almost pristine, so maybe they just hadn't gotten around to putting on the ladder after repairs or repainting. Enjoy the mystery.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff