Re: Brass freight car noise - NOT TRUCKS

Mark,

Foam rubber, or artificial foam as is more likely, might quiet such a car. However, both materials deteriorate with age and become flakey, making a potential mess. White styrofoam blocks carefully cut to fill the car might be more stable.

Non-expanding spray foam is messy, and the solvents in the foam could dissolve some plastics, as does acetone. I used acetone to clean some used archery bows I bought for our loaner kit, and found it temporarily softened fiberglass or the acrylic plastic, though eventually it hardened again without serious damage.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 6:34 PM mark_landgraf via groups.io <mark_landgraf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You might try, for a boxcar, packing it with foam rubber. If you are really desperate, fill the car with non expanding spray foam. Given the sloppiness of using spray foam, I would do it on a painted car. Clean-up is with acetone.  Packing a car with fiberglass insulation may also work.  Automotive spray undercutting would probably work too.

Fiber wasters between the truck bolster and the car bolster would probably help too.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 6:23 PM, James SANDIFER

Will someone please address the question? Yes, I have replaced the trucks, as stated in the original question. I want to quiet down the tin sound of brass cars. Any suggestions on making them quiet?

J. Stephen Sandifer