Re: SNX 1609

John Barry

I should have added that it was an FGEX reweigh symbol.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 12:32:04 PM EDT, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

Schuyler,

I can't answer the color question, but referencing the Station & Reweigh Symbols spreadsheet previously discussed shows PLT to be the symbol for Plattsmouth, NE.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 12:22:38 PM EDT, Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

All,

Several years ago I bought, at Cocoa Beach, a 5th Avenue Car Shops, Accurail kit for a National Car Company reefer.  Now that it’s properly aged I thought I’d get to it and assemble it, adding appropriate details as I can.  But the first instruction is to paint the roof “silver.”

And that is my question.  What is meant by the term “silver?”   Silver as in the prototype was actually painted with silver paint?  Or is this a “galvanized roof color silver?”  The sides are lettered as “REBUILT PLT 1-52” which is also the last reweigh date, so this is a “new” car for my modeling purposes.

I have a mix I use for galvanized roofs which is part silver, part gray, and looks very good.  But I also have silver paint, and could use that.  In any event, it will get a dusting of loco exhaust (both, either, steam or diesel) and perhaps some light weathering, dust along the bottom edge mostly, along the sides and ends.

Oh, and while we’re at it, the supplied roof walk is wood, painted brown to match the ends (and underframe).  In ’52, would these cars have a metal roof walk?  Of what style?  And one more variable, should the roof walk be painted silver, too?  And is that a “depends on whether it’s wood or metal” question?

And what may be a minor point: Where was “PLT” ?

Thanks for the assistance I know this list can provide.

Schuyler