image from Homestead, PA in 1915

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

I have been having an enjoyable time taking in what there is to see on this image from Homestead, PA in 1915 and linked below...

Zoom in to the image and have a look.

Nearest the camera, BR&P composite gon 17485, is in the process of being loaded. The load bracing is partially in place, the vertical braces positioned in the OUTSIDE stake pockets.

Behind it is a B&O composite gon that has completed loading of the same material. Note that the B&O gon has vertical braces positioned both inside the car AND on the outside, using the outside stake pockets. I imagine this was done to provide a tight and secure non-shifting interior fit for the load.

Are these called billets in the steel industry? The appear to be octagonal in profile

Then further to the left we can see a steel gon with C.S.CO. reporting marks, I am unable to make out the number. It appears this car might be missing its coupler.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund