Bob Chaparro

A photo from the Utah State Historical Society:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6t445nf

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I was well aware that this was not an uncommon practice but this is the first photograph I've seen illustrating the point.

Notice the grain door seen through the open reefer door and notice the ventilated boxcar in the cut of cars.

The month this photo was taken was June and the year was 1918, so the factors behind this were a grain rush, a resulting boxcar shortage and, in addition, government control of the national car fleet during World War I.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA