Re: image from Homestead, PA in 1915

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 11:44 AM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
I don’t know if the chain connections were a requirement for these loads. In reviewing the Loading of Materials section of the 1919 Car Builder Directory, I do not see the chain connections noted with loads spanning multiple cars.
Someplace in there was a requirement that multiple cars under one load either be chained together or have the uncoupling mechanism made inoperative; the intent being to keep someone from mindlessly uncoupling the cars and dropping the load. I suspect roads that supplied cars for long loads often just figured they'd save time and expense over the long run if they just built the cars with permanent chains.

Dennis Storzek