Re: Photo: PRR Depressed Center Flatcar 470011 (1949)

Brian Termunde

Bob,
Thanks for sharing this. I especially appreciate knowing some of the background as my uncle worked there for quite some time and it's been a part of Salt Lake for many years. My uncle and his family lived not too far south of the plant (walking distance, although I rather doubt that Uncle Vern would have walked! <G>).

I do want to stress that I am NOT trying to shoot the messenger as the information provided is what's on that very interesting website, however I don't think that it was taken at the actual Gadsby Plant. In the photo;

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6c83287

There's a small hill on the viewers right, the area around the plant, for as long as I can remember. Here's a link to a Google map showing the area;

https://goo.gl/maps/gHHsSy5Phy3yJ7a29

That being said, I am sorry but I cannot offer any suggestion as the the actual location.

Bob, Thanks again for another interesting photo!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Photo: PRR Depressed Center Flatcar 470011 (1949)
From: Bob Chaparro
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 08:58:14 PDT
Photo: PRR Depressed Center Flatcar 470011 (1949)
A photo from the University of Utah Library:
This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.
The 353-megawatt Gadsby Plant is named for George M. Gadsby, a former president of Utah Power & Light Co., now Rocky Mountain Power. Units 1, 2 and 3 were commissioned between 1951 and 1955 on a 2,500-acre site in Salt Lake City. It was fueled primarily by coal until 1987.
Other views:
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA