Re: HO Barber S-4 Swing Hanger Trucks

Steve and Barb Hile

I recall chasing this issue around many years ago.  The Rock Island diagram sheet refers to them as Barber S-4-L trucks with Timken roller bearings.  I need to find a better picture, but for now, this one will have to do

My conclusion, then was to use Bethlehem (old Cape Line) cast trucks, number 1213

Interestingly, I can’t find a reference to an S-4-L truck in the 1946 CBC, but they do show a very similar looking S-5-L truck, although it includes a plain (solid) bearing instead of a roller bearing.

The accompanying text reads as follows

Hope this helps.  Perhaps someone else can point to more information on theS-4-L truck.

Steve Hile