Re: HO Barber S-4 Swing Hanger Trucks

Steve and Barb Hile

I recall chasing this issue around many years ago.  The Rock Island diagram sheet refers to them as Barber S-4-L trucks with Timken roller bearings.  I need to find a better picture, but for now, this one will have to do

My conclusion, then was to use Bethlehem (old Cape Line) cast trucks, number 1213

Interestingly, I can’t find a reference to an S-4-L truck in the 1946 CBC, but they do show a very similar looking S-5-L truck, although it includes a plain (solid) bearing instead of a roller bearing.

The accompanying text reads as follows

Hope this helps.  Perhaps someone else can point to more information on theS-4-L truck.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob Damron
Sent: Monday, September 7, 2020 10:19 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] HO Barber S-4 Swing Hanger Trucks

Fellow Modelers:

My name is Jacob Damron and I model the Rock Island and its passenger trains in the early 1960's. One of my next projects to expand my BX fleet is the Sunshine Models RI 20060-20069 10'6" aluminum box car (Jeff has already addressed my RI 20000-20051/20070-20084 research request). This car rode on Barber S-4 Swing Hanger trucks and I'm having a hard time locating such. 

Does anyone know if these trucks are/were offered in plastic or brass?

Thanks so much.

Jacob Damron
Ft Worth, TX

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.