Re: What car is this on the Rio Grande?

Bruce Smith

Folks, Brian,

My first thought was the same. I’m guessing that Ben’s evaluation was based on what appears to be a reddish end, with some variation in the intensity of the lighter side color. However, given the size/resolution of the image, I’m not sure how anyone can tell much of anything. There are limits to even the best of our abilities!  I tried to blow it up and it was too low a resolution to see anything but pixels. I would suggest that Scott find and post a higher resolution image.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn Al

On Sep 9, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Brian Carlson via groups.io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

Assuming we are talking about the 5th car my first thought was one of the silver PS-1s western RailwAy of Alabama or affiliated lines.

Brian J. Carlson

On Sep 9, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Scott McDonald asked:
"The photo below was posted on the Rio Grande Historical Society Facebook page by Parker Wilson from his collection. I am reposting here with his permission.  Does anybody know what the silver car is? It looks like there is a BX-11 or 12 raised roof behind it so it is pretty tall."

<FB_IMG_1599659297502.jpg>

That's not a silver car, but a red car with white staining.  Assuming that the car behind it is a raided roof Bx-12/Bx-13 (10 ft 6 in IH), my guess is it's a 40 ft steel automobile boxcar.

Ben Hom

<FB_IMG_1599659297502.jpg>