Re: Photo: Pittsburgh & Shawmut Railroad Dump Car M-24 (1954)

vapeurchapelon

Many thanks, Ted! Seems that I have to have such a car one day...

Johannes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 09. September 2020 um 21:00 Uhr
Von: "Ted Schnepf" <railsunl@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Pittsburgh & Shawmut Railroad Dump Car M-24 (1954)
Hello Johannes,

Air dumps would move in regular freight trains to a terminal near where they would be unloaded by or work or local way freight. The cars would haul rip rap, ballast, and sometimes ties or other timbers for MOW use.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020, 01:48:59 PM CDT, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

Hello Gary and all,

since several years I have an eye on these nice W&R models - but something lets me think that the prototypes were used exclusively or almost exclusively in MOW service - so they usually could not be seen in regular freight service. Am I wrong with this?

Many thanks and regards

Johannes

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 09. September 2020 um 20:43 Uhr
Von: "gary laakso" <vasa0vasa@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

From the W&R flyer for these cars back in 92, they were built by the Clark Car Co. in the 1920s and 1930s;

SP 3360-3373

PRR 999000-999079 or 489900-489915

NYC X6500-6535

NP 89000-89059

DL&W 95708 plus others

B&O X330-324

WM 1410-1421

UP 91500-91544  and

SP&S X50-51

Very finely detailed cars with additional air tanks to provide detail options.   The trucks a require replacement wheels and axles.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock