Re: Photo: PRR Boxcar 515355 (1912)

Dave Parker

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 02:29 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
It took railroads a decade to upgrade or replace equipment to meet the MCB requirements that fulfill the 1911 amendment to the Safety Appliances Act.
Eric:

I think you need to go back and read the history of the 1911 SAA amendments.  These were not the stuff of MCB Standard and Recommended Practices, but rather Federal laws adopted by Congress on April 14, 1910 .  Here's one snippet from the official passage of the act:

The ICC (not the MCB) was charged with developing the details of the required appliances, it was put on a deadline (with a threat of penalty), and the fines to be charged the railroads (by the ICC) for noncompliance are spelled out at this time.

I don't tend to collect photos from the teens, but the ones that I do all show the SAA hardware if the photo can be dated to 1911+.  All the photos I have without the required ladders, etc. date to 1910 or before.

It would take some compelling photographic evidence to convince me that there were non-compliant cars in interchange in 1920 (or, perhaps, even in 1912).

With best regards.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA