Re: What Is This Flatcar Load?

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bill,

Have you considered Chad Boaz's kits? He has some neat stuff nobody else has done. They are pretty basic bodies and underframes, to which you add the details. I have a couple waiting to build and I think they are pretty nice.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 5:39 PM Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bruce,

Thank You. I need a few flat cars and this one looks like a good candidate.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Bill,

The car is CB&Q 91243, an FM-11/11A class car. The reason that Marty's blog had the prototype photo was that he was building a model. 

A resin HO FM-11 model was recently available from Ed Rethwischm and Jerry Hamsmith .

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 4:04 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] What Is This Flatcar Load?

Thank you for the ID on the load.

What I would like to know is … where can I find a model of this flat car? Or any info at all?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

I was pretty sure that these were not generators because of the additional equipment and the nature of the trailer. I asked over on the 1-87Military Modelers group and Jim Eager replied:

”Those are AN/MPQ-4 mortar fire finder radar units.  The TM for them is 11-5840-208-10. The power generator and other auxiliary equipment for them would have been on a separate trailer.”

To translate, these are small radar units used to locate the source of incoming enemy mortar fire and direct counter-battery fire to suppress them.  Neat!

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Sep 10, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

What Is This Flatcar Load?
This is a photo from  Marty McGuirk's Central Vermont Railway blog:
Can anyone identify the load? Perhaps military generators as suggested by Marty?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.