Re: What Is This Flatcar Load?

Rob & Bev Manley

With regards to the CB&Q Flatcar. I built the Sunshine Mini-kit and Chad's NP flatcar. Both are great kits. My method of weighting was to measure the cells on the bottoms of both cars, Rule up a grid of the sizes using a T-Square and Triangle. I then took some sheet lead I got from my house's re-roofing and replacement from the old flashing. I rolled the lead sheet flat and taped it over the template. Scoring the lead, I was able to harvest perfectly sized drop in panels. I can now place the  empty cars behind the locomotive in a sixty car train.

The "CB&Q" decal lettering on the Sunshine car is too high for the model and prototype photos.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Thursday, September 10, 2020, 05:22:43 PM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Bill,

Have you considered Chad Boaz's kits? He has some neat stuff nobody else has done. They are pretty basic bodies and underframes, to which you add the details. I have a couple waiting to build and I think they are pretty nice.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 5:39 PM Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bruce,

Thank You. I need a few flat cars and this one looks like a good candidate.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Bill,

The car is CB&Q 91243, an FM-11/11A class car. The reason that Marty's blog had the prototype photo was that he was building a model.

A resin HO FM-11 model was recently available from Ed Rethwischm and Jerry Hamsmith .

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al