Re: What Is This Flatcar Load?

Nelson Moyer

And that mini-kit was the inspiration for the gorgeous FM-11/11A kits offered by Jerry Hamsmith, due largely to the artistry of Ed Rethwisch. Having built ten of these kits I speak from experience.

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marty McGuirk
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 4:42 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] What Is This Flatcar Load?

I’d received the ID of the load after I’d posted the photo on my blog. Obviously I forgot to update the post!

My car is a Sunshine Models kit that was one of the registration door prizes Martin used to provide at his Naperville meets.

Marty 

On Sep 10, 2020, at 5:36 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Bill,

The car is CB&Q 91243, an FM-11/11A class car. The reason that Marty's blog had the prototype photo was that he was building a model. 

A resin HO FM-11 model was recently available from Ed Rethwischm and Jerry Hamsmith .

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Keene via groups.io <bill41@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 4:04 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] What Is This Flatcar Load?

Thank you for the ID on the load.

What I would like to know is … where can I find a model of this flat car? Or any info at all?

Cheers,

Bill Keene

Irvine, CA

On Sep 10, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Folks,

I was pretty sure that these were not generators because of the additional equipment and the nature of the trailer. I asked over on the 1-87Military Modelers group and Jim Eager replied:

”Those are AN/MPQ-4 mortar fire finder radar units.  The TM for them is 11-5840-208-10. The power generator and other auxiliary equipment for them would have been on a separate trailer.”

To translate, these are small radar units used to locate the source of incoming enemy mortar fire and direct counter-battery fire to suppress them.  Neat!

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

On Sep 10, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

What Is This Flatcar Load?

This is a photo from  Marty McGuirk's Central Vermont Railway blog:

Can anyone identify the load? Perhaps military generators as suggested by Marty?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.