Re: Proto 2000 Stock Car

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Ray,

The Proto 2000 car is a Mather design, and most of these were leased out by Mather to various railroads, sometimes on a long term basis. NP and GN both used Mather stock cars besides their own designs. I know PK2 offered a B&O car in their first run (I have one I've considered relettering), and their early cars were supposedly very accurate. Also offered were cars lettered for GSX, Gotham Livestock Express, which IIRC was Mather's short-term lease reporting mark. Yes, it would be possible to see a NYC stock car in Utah, but that would be very rare. Better to stick with what is more common or plausible.

Since AB brakes were not mandated until the early 1950s, yes, K-brakes are appropriate. That is not to say the Mather company wasn't already fitting their cars with AB brakes by 1939, but they were a pretty cheap outfit and kept their cars simple. You need to check photos.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 2:38 AM Ray Carson via groups.io <PrewarUPModeler=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

I'm curious about something about the Proto 2000 stock car that I'm interested in buying from my LHS.

So most of the models seem to be painted and modeled after WWII. What modifications can I make to one to fit my year of 1939? Would they more than likely have K brakes at this time?

I'm not sure what railroads owned these stock cars, I've seen NP owned a few. What possible railroads could I fit this in?

Finally more of a general but maybe dumb question, would a stock car from let's say New York Central end up in a western state like Utah? It seems stock cars would've stayed on their own railroads but I could be wrong.

Thanks, Ray