Re: RIP: Denny S. Anspach

Douglas Harding

Sorry to hear this. I was privileged to be a guest in the Anspach homes in both Sacramento and Okoboji (his summer home in Iowa). And I had Denny as a guest in two different homes to see progress on my Iowa Central layout. We shared mutual interests in Iowa railroads and the Fairmont Motor Co. and often shared notes through the years on related modeling and research projects. I fondly remember Denny giving me a private tour of the backshops of the California State Railroad Museum, while regaling me with stories of its creation and building. He rode the SP cab forward as it was moved into position while the museum was being built. Denny also introduced me to Ellen in the library who assisted me with a research project, and the curator Wyatt. Both connections I treasured. I will truly his him.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aley, Jeff A
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 9:22 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io; PassengerCarList@groups.io; RockIslandLines@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] RIP: Denny S. Anspach

It is my sad duty to inform you that my great friend, Denny Anspach, passed away today, September 20, 2020.  Denny was a man of great accomplishments, not only within our hobby of prototype and model railroading, but also in other areas.  But to me his greatest attribute was his friendship and mentoring – which I will try to “pay forward” until we meet again.  I was often impressed by the fact that he knew so many great individuals.  I gradually learned that Denny had a tremendous ability to focus on a person’s best traits, no matter who they were.  All people are great and highly accomplished in some way, and Denny always spoke of a person’s finest character.

I will miss him tremendously.

-Jeff Aley

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.