Re: RIP: Denny S. Anspach

Tony Thompson

      I am still processing the news abut Denny. I saw his historian and leadership roles while I   served more than ten years on the Collections Committee of the California State Railroad Museum (which Denny had chaired from its inception), having been appointed through Denny's auspices. I am still on the committee.
       But I think I first recognized the depths of his model railroading passions after one of the times I attended the Roseville model railroad show, a very big swap meet-type event held in November. Denny and Bob Church, who were good friends, used to get a table to sell off their surplus stuff, and I went a few times to add some of my own stuff to their sales. During the show, we would take turns visiting the other booths, and Denny soon returned with a totally decrepit, damaged and broken HO scale freight car, that he knew was a Varney paper-side kit. He was beside himself with joy, though I wasn't sure I understood why.
        Some time later I happened to visit Denny at his house, and he showed me that Varney car: carefully disassembled with acetone, cleaned up and all parts repaired and paint retouched, and then carefully reassembled, with more modern grab irons and sill steps. It looked quite good, and his joy was undiminished. That was Denny.

Tony Thompson