Re: Dr. Denny Anspach, MD 1934-2020

william darnaby

I don't know what to say that has not already been said about Denny, especially in relation to our engaging hobby.  I knew him from another angle as he became my mentor in all things wood boats.  His family had, or still has, an impressive collection of wood runabouts and my wife and I had the pleasure of riding in them and even piloting them during our visits to Okoboji to see Denny and Carol.  I have spent nearly my entire life on one of the twin lakes surrounding Monticello, Indiana and had desired a wood runabout since childhood but did not know where to start.  Denny coached me with his usual enthusiasm about what to look for and what to watch out for in a wood boat.  With that knowledge I made the purchase of a 1955 Chris-Craft in 2006 and had the pleasure of taking Denny and Carol for rides in it on one of their all too infrequent journeys through Indiana.  He approved.

Bill Darnaby