Central Valley Stock Car Roof Ideas

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

I've been toying with some parts and unfinished kits in my stash this evening. I have little use for the Central Valley NP stock car kit, but have been examining the arched roof for possible use on other projects. The roof is rather wide at its extreme overhang, but the distance of 9 scale feet over the two ridges that project down into the car body is very close to the width on Red Caboose or Intermountain roofs AAR roofs I have in my stash. The stock car kits ends are a very close match in width to the ends on the F&C 1932 steel boxcar. I'm thinking the stock car roof might work for one of the C&O ARA boxcars that had radial roofs. The overhang might be trimmed back, or I could slice it down the middle and after some file work put the pieces back together. New ribs I suppose, but that's not all that difficult.

And what to do with the rest of the stock car? Well, it might get me chased off this group, but I might be able to drop an Intermountain roof onto the stock car body to make a freelanced car for my Virginia Midland.

Comments, suggestions, other possible projects (I have two of the stock car kits; sorry, but I don't want to sell them at this time).

As if I don't have enough unfinished projects.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆