Re: F&C B&M XM1

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

Allow me to dispel some misconceptions and set aside speculation about the XM-1 on the Salzberg roads.  First, the FtDDM&S was the first to receive these cars into their 10000-10099 series which reached at least 99 cars before the end of the decade.  This began in September of 1956.  Clarke's model was inspired by a photo of their 10007 taken after the date (1962?) of the 'uprating' of solid bearings another 10% nominal load capacity.  This car somehow escaped the changeover to the Youngstown door that replaced that rare "car builder's door" delivered with the original B&M 71000 collection.  This must have been a rare car in 1956 as the conventional wisdom is that these doors were all gone much earlier.

The WAG in turn began receiving their cars in the spring of 1958.  These were placed into a series beginning with 5000 and reached 150 by 1960.  Interestingly the cars for both roads were reconditioned including stenciling and reweighing at the B&M's Concord, New Hampshire shop receiving that location's "DS" marking.  The WAG was incorporated in 1954 but did not begin operations until the first day of 1956.  A common misconception is that the WAG cars were used extensively in green hide service.  I have found only one example of this.  These cars on both the Fort Dodge and WAG were XM roamers intended to earn their masters per diem income.  Indeed, the two cars in the Jim Sands photo from 1966 display 'used' grain doors indicating high quality XM service.  The full scope photo shows that the WAG car is 5240 which entered service on the road in 1965.  Note the newer cleaner paint.  This car is from the original B&M 72000 series with the exposed roof 'ribs.'  The Fort Dodge car is from the first group (71000) with the plain roof.  Rest assured that the roofs were not swapped around.  The Salzbergs were too frugal to ever do that.

The WAG 5240 is part of the second and final wave received of these cars.  However, by this time the B&M no longer owned them and they came instead from Hyman-Michaels (and possibly International Railway Car Company).  These companies bought 1300 cars from the total B&M 71000-72999 group and leased them back to that RR.  This accounts for the renumbering that occurred between June 1955 and December 1956.  These last cars eventually brought their WAG population to over 500 cars.  All later cars were instead refurbished at Galeton, Penna.  Many of these were stripped of their running boards and had "A"end ladders cut short.  The WAG XM-1 boxcars were used well past our time of interest last going off-line with loads in June of 1975.

The Salzberg family did not swap cars around within the family.  Many cars were refurbished at Galeton for other parts of the family but these were cars purchased for those receiving roads.  Only a handful of service cars and the PS-1s from the Louisiana & Northwest came within the family to the WAG.  My apologies that much of this history came after our time of interest.  It is conceivable that the many WAG cars might have been sent to family members that needed more cars for seasonal loadings such as for grain.

Back to the B&M XM-1s.  These cars were an interesting lot for several reasons but one very intriguing is the AB conversion arrangement.  The RR chose to mount the triple valve entirely below the lowest face of the center sill.  This resulted in the device being very prominent in any view across the underside of the car. This seems a very unusual choice given how low the valve, dirt collector, and piping are positioned.  One wonders if this was ever an issue for higher rates of over-the-road damage.  It is a modeling detail worth capturing.

Sorry but I like to talk about these cars----Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.

On Saturday, September 26, 2020, 04:36:06 PM EDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

Jack and Ben,

Well, I can't say for sure, but it is possible that one of the Salzberg shortlines had a shop that did repair work for the other related lines. Other possibilities are a seasonal traffic surge on one line that required extra cars, or maybe some of the cars were transferred from one line to another and were waiting for relettering. This might require some serious work with an ORER, and probably isn't worth the effort.

One other interesting point. This photo is on the Fallen Flags web site, where it is attributed to Jim Sands at Marshaltown, Iowa in 1966. In my 1959 ORER this series of cars only ran from 10000 to 10074. This suggests that car 10094 might not have been on the FDDM&S roster during our period of interest, though others of this class certainly were.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Well, Garth, what IS intriguing is that these two cars happen to be coupled together.  The odds are long . . .

Schuyler