Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Eric Hansmann

Ee-gads, Man! That’s nearly as bad as saying Pittsburghers love Hunt’s catsup! A true Pittsburgher loves Clark bars! Made on the Nort Side and served by the Pennsy Fort Wayne line with a siding for freight cars.

As far as a load for that Hershey reefer, the company made other items beyond candy bars. Possibly there’s baker’s chocolate, chocolate powder, or other items being delivered. Since the photo shows the Try Street team yard, the items might be headed to local hotels, Duquesne University’s dining halls, a restaurant supplier in the Hill District, or even the kitchen in Allegheny County Jail. The car is here because the consignee is closer to this terminal than the Point, Strip District, North Side, or South Side team tracks.

Don’t forget, this might not be a whole car delivery, either.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Where you can’t find Clark bars….