Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Eric;

What on Gd’s green earth was Hunt’s and catsup?  I don’t recognize either of those things.  There was never anything but Heinz in our households.

Yes, we also loved Clark Bars (I was actually baby-sat by Candy Barr), but a Clark Bar was nothing like a Hersheys Bar, esp if you liked them with almonds!  Or, Reeses’ Cups!

I agree with you on all of that.  The variety of loads could be endless!

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 4:28 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Ee-gads, Man! That’s nearly as bad as saying Pittsburghers love Hunt’s catsup! A true Pittsburgher loves Clark bars! Made on the Nort Side and served by the Pennsy Fort Wayne line with a siding for freight cars.

As far as a load for that Hershey reefer, the company made other items beyond candy bars. Possibly there’s baker’s chocolate, chocolate powder, or other items being delivered. Since the photo shows the Try Street team yard, the items might be headed to local hotels, Duquesne University’s dining halls, a restaurant supplier in the Hill District, or even the kitchen in Allegheny County Jail. The car is here because the consignee is closer to this terminal than the Point, Strip District, North Side, or South Side team tracks.

Don’t forget, this might not be a whole car delivery, either.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Where you can’t find Clark bars….

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Schuyler;

Can’t fault that reasoning!  Pittsburghers have always loved their Hershey bars!

Too bad we don’t have earlier and later photos of them unloading the car into a dray……

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:03 PM

Elden wrote:

Claus;

The obvious answer would be in iced reefers, but the presence of that Hersheys car in Pittsburgh begs the question, what was it doing THERE?

Well with the doors open on a team track, I’d say a load of something Hershey made was delivered.

I am always looking for more info on loads….

Aren’t we all . . .??

Schuyler (BTW, thanks for the responses on my question about this car)

Elden Gatwood

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:13 AM

By the way, my information indicates that these cars were not used to transport chocolate bars, but were used to transport milk in 10 gal cans to the Hershey plant from outlying farms.  Hershey was (and may still be) the largest consumer of fresh milk in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  Hershey owned the farms and leased them to farmers who, in turn, sold all their milk to Hershey.  Hershey would inspect the farms regularly for sanitation.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.