Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:48 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: ATSF (?) Boxcar 9260 With Pinto Bean Load (1914)

Photo: ATSF (?) Boxcar 9260 With Pinto Bean Load (1914)

A photo from the University of New Mexico:

https://econtent.unm.edu/digital/collection/gkcpc/id/26/rec/146

The photo can be enlarged.

"Train car shipped in November of 1914 with goods donated by Gross, Kelly & Co. to the Belgium Relief Commission, run by Herbert Hoover. Gross, Kelly & Co. was one of the pioneer wholesale and retail mercantile companies in the Southwest."

Do pinto beans go well with Belgium waffles?

Note the placard on the car reads "Explosives". (Don't go there, readers.)

I could not find a listing for this car, built in 1897, among my Santa Fe records but the end reporting marks appear to include "&SF". Perhaps this car was from a subsidiary road.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA