Re: Old Photos from Southern Railway in Knoxville yard

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, I see crow is on the menu today . . .

I apologize for confusing ODC and Bon Ami.  Bon Ami contains feldspar and doesn’t scratch.  I cannot vouch for the performance of ODC.

The plant I mentioned (later verified as being in Manchester CT) is where Bon Ami is, or was, manufactured.  The can today says “Bon Ami Company, Kansas City MO 64101.”  I do not know where their plants are today.  It also is the can that states “Original 1886 Formula.”

My remarks about using ODC on brass should be that I have used Bon Ami on brass with great success.  I cannot confirm whether ODC is equally harmless.

I hope that this clarifies what I intended to say.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 11:21 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Old Photos from Southern Railway in Knoxville yard

I too would like to know the answer to Bill S,’s question.  There is an excellent modeler in this area, Jim Dufour, who’s modeled the Cheshire branch, thee connecting the B&M main line at South Ashburnham to Keene NH.  Included in his railroad is a model accurately depicting a very modest Feldspar mine.  Jim has waybill records showing that the Feldspar was shipped to a Old Dutch Cleanser plant along the New Haven, IIRC, in the vicinity of Manchester CT.  (I could be entirely wrong on the destination, but I am sure it was in CT.).  Doug’s citing of plants in

Doug Harding’s citing of

Old Dutch Cleanser Plants were located in Los Angeles, Omaha, and Toronto

May well be accurate, but of a later time.  The Old Dutch Cleanser container cites that it was developed in 1886.

Incidentally, I won’t have any other cleanser in the house.  I find the competitors, Comet, Ajax, etc., tend to scratch, whereas the little just hatched chick on the ODC label, with the slogan “Hasn’t scratched yet,” is accurate.  It will clean some egregiously dirty dishes without scratching them (ask me how I know).  I have used it when stripping brass models with an old, soft toothbrush to remove stubborn paint in crevices.  Works well, without any visible damage to the model surface.

Incidentally, while googling (because I could not remember feldspar) I came across the following interesting webpage:

http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/dutch.htm

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of erieblt2
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 10:34 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Old Photos from Southern Railway in Knoxville yard

Mr. Harding, where did you get the information as to where the plants were located? Is there a book(now ‘site’) that lists company info? We have source/info books for railroads ie ‘The Official Guide’ . Is there an equivalent for industries? Thank you. Respectfully, Bill S.    PS I had to look up the earlier reference to ‘foobies’! 

On Sep 30, 2020, at 6:36 AM, Thomas Evans via groups.io <tomkevans@...> wrote:

So now I'm confused.
There was Cudahy Packing Company of Omaha which also made & sold Old Dutch Cleanser.
There was also Cudahy Brothers which was also a packing company in Cudahy Wis. south of Milwaukee.
Did Cudahy Brothers (Wisconsin) also have their own meat reefers?
Can anyone make all this clear?

Tom E.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.