Re: Photo: GATX 31197 & 54877 At DuPont Plant (1940)

charlie9

The plant on the ICRR at Memphis did produce hydrogen cyanide.  The plant was located at Woodstock where the passenger and freight mains split just North of Memphis.  In later years that product was shipped in distinctive cream colored tank cars with red stripes.  I remember seeing big placard signs on the cars that pretty much said "if you can smell this, you are already dead."

I wonder what cars were used for Hydrogen Cyanide shipments in the steam era.  Anybody know or have any photos?  I am too young to remember what cars they were using back then.

Charlie Schildt (grouchy German)