Re: GATX fleet breakdown?

Dave Parker

I'm with Bruce on this.  In addition to the (good luck!) Sunshine Type 30s, there are no models for the many 1920s cars with longitudinal course.  We see them in photos, we know they existed, but.....

I have never seen anything that would readily yield a systematic breakdown of the GATX fleet (I am assuming that what is meant by GA here).  There may be some clues in the various tariffs, but I think they will be on the ambiguous side.  Between 1930 and 1935, the GATX fleet almost doubled, and then increased by another ~50% by 1945.  They swallowed up  smaller, struggling leasing companies during the depression, and purchase-lease back arrangements occurred as well.  Thus, the ~38,000 cars owned by GA in 1945 were likely something of a dog's breakfast, not easily sorted out.

This is in stark contrast to the UTLX fleet which, as Steve Hile's book tells us, is quite well documented throughout the steam era.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA