Re: GATX fleet breakdown?

Bruce Smith

Phil,

On a practical level, the cars modeled by Tangent are a 1917 design so they are technologically outdated by WWII, and that is also reflected in the radial course design. The later GATC (and folks, it is General (formerly German) American Tank car Corporation) that BUILT the cars, some of which ran under GATX reporting marks) longitudinal course cars (aka type 30 and others) are modernized cars that replaced or supplemented the type 17 cars beginning in 1930.

I too have yet to see a fleet breakdown of the GATX fleet. “somebody” needs to write a book! ;)

Now, if you’re talking about the entire tank car fleet, every addition helps with variety and the GATC type 17 is no exception. The two BIG holes in a steam era tank car fleet are a plastic GATC type 30 and plastic UTL X-3. Both have been done in resin, but neither are readily available or easy to assemble. With resin offerings from SCF, Resin Freight Cars, Speedwitch, etc… mixed into the fleet, you can have a nicely varied group of cars to break up the AC&F type 21s (P2K/Walthers) and type 27s (Intermountain). Just don’t show up with any (or maybe more than one) Tichy (lovely car that it is) or Red Caboose tank car.

Regards,
Bruce

On Oct 1, 2020, at 2:20 PM, nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

Bruce,

I was unaware that this was a minority car. It just appeared to me that because of the varied types of STC cars from SC&F and GATC cars from Tangent that a variegated fleet could be composed. For my modeling locale (Buffalo area), it just so happens that most of the tanks that Tangent has released are needed based on photographic evidence and freight consists, but I realize that the majority of modelers may not be modeling areas near electrochemical facilities. At any rate, I do not know much about the fleet breakdown of GATX cars, which is why I asked.

-Phil